Friday, January 18

Dos babies

Could you imagine being pregnant and not being able to take a peek inside the womb? My mom found the book/journal she completed when pregnant with me and it was so odd to think they couldn't confirm a pregnancy with an HPT or an ultrasound. I think I could become addicted to ultrasounds…I'm starting to understand why crazy Tom Cruise bought one for home use when Katie Holmes was pregnant! Just kidding…kinda. ;)
We got a look at the twins yesterday and all is well! Twin B is catching up to Twin A and their heartrates were in line with what they should be at 9 weeks (which is apparently the time when they'll be the fastest…should slow down after 9 weeks). The U/S tech was able to identify their heads from their rumps and we got individual pics of both. Too cute! I think of them sharing this space and the bond they're forming and it gives me chills, it's so beautiful. DH and I rented In The Womb: Multiples and I highly recommend it to all you expecting twins. The most interesting tidbit to me was how twins have so much more stimulation in the womb than singletons (duh, I know). Manipulating the tight spaces can also help them with coordination later on in life (DH saw that as hope for two athletes who can go to college on scholarship! Since we spent our savings on them already!). Also, they have witnessed multiples in the womb who play games with one another! And these games can continue outside the womb! For example, there were twins who loved to cuddle their faces up to one another while in the womb. Then as toddlers, one of their favorites games was to stand on either side of a curtain and put their faces close to each other and giggle. That's just amazing to me…
Our OB gave us the all clear to let people know we're expecting! We had a few questions for her and that was DH's no. 1 question - I think he's been ready to burst! Also, his work has had a twin explosion lately, with like 5 of his co-workers either expecting them or just having had them…so I think he's ready to share his news too! Early on, I was dying to tell people we were pregnant…but now I don't feel the same sense of urgency. I don't know why…I feel confident in our babies so I don't think that's the reason. Maybe I'm just enjoying my little secret. Course it would behoove me to share the news and erase the mystery as to why I'm eating all day at my cube and answer questions around my slightly shifting figure. ;) I think part of it is wanting to put time between when I was out for two weeks for an undisclosed medical condition and the announcement. Not that I'm ashamed of what we did to make our babies - quite the contrary! I guess I just don't know how to answer the questions that will come from the busy bodys…"oh twins? Did you use fertility drugs?" One of my friends had triplets almost two years ago and is still asked that question…he said you start out polite and then get fed up. But why do I have to be polite if those who hear the news can't be?! For the triplets, I'd hate for their conception to be a defining trait for the rest of their lives. It's kind of irrelevant, isn't it? I know, I know, I preach people needing to be open about IF or society will never change and then I fall into the same trap. It's a quandary…
So for now, I'll continue to keep my little babies safe and protected from the comments that will annoy their mother and cause her heartrate to go up!

6 comments:

Waiting Amy said...

I too would like an ultrasound every week until delivery.

As for the prying questions on conception, they will be inevitable. I don't mind them so much, or being honest as to where our twins came from -- but it's the way its asked. "Are they natural?" which is most common. Of COURSE they are NATURAL! Just naturally in a dish.

Glad you are able to eat, sometimes its hard for me!

Denise said...

People seem to have no problem asking prying questions about things that are none of their business. Starting from asking when you're getting married, when you're having kids (as if that's up to us!), and this is just another example. I can't wait to read up on how you decide to handle these questions so I can hopefully prepare myself to walk in your footsteps.

singletracey said...

Ultrasounds are fab! I may have to get one of those fancy fetal heartmonitors to keep myself happy :-)

I am so glad things with the twins are going great! YEAH!! Rest up, eat and have a great weekend!

Rebecca said...

Since I just "graduated" I'm dying for another 2.5 weeks for a sonogram! I don't know if I can do it!!! How do normal people do it?

I just put that movie on the top of my netflix que...thanks for recommending it. It looks really cool. Glad to hear you got the all clear...good news!

Nadine said...

Yes people do pry when it's none of their business, I've developed a new approach and answer in the way that is going to make them feel the most awkward.
For examples:
Annoying young girl "why aren't you drinking? You guys used to party all the time".
Duck " I'm an alcholic, why do you feel the need to drink yourself into a stupor every weekend?".
The silence is golden.

singletracey said...

I couldnt imagine not getting a sneak peak! AHHHH

In the womd.. awesome .. I have seen both (singles and multiples). I actually might buy it because I find it so interesting!

Glad your doing well!