Sunday, August 3

37 weeks -- we made it! :)

I tell ya, if you only have one outing a week, at least those you see make it worth your while by boosting your ego/spirits. Last week, the sonographer said I should get a medal. My doctor said I deserved an A+. This week, a different nurse and doctor (my doc is out of town -- babies have to hang in there until she's back!) were amazed at my progress (and the babies'), lack of complications, bed rest, lack of hospital visits. Sure does make a mom-to-be feel good! :)

We had our last growth sonogram today and it will give us the best guess as to how much these kiddos will weigh when they meet us. The sonographer took lots of measurements to get the most accurate weight. Drumroll please….Baby A, who continues to hang out practically in the birth canal and will most likely have a cone head for a day or so given its been down there practically the entire 9 months, is weighing in at a whopping 5 lbs. 13 oz. Baby B, who is head down as well, actually surpassed Baby A for the first time ever…5 lbs. 14 oz! AMAZING! I have accomplished my goals as a "hostess"…I wanted to get these babies to 5 lbs. in an effort to avoid a stay in the NICU (check!), and I wanted to get these babies to term…there's apparently some debate as to whether 35 weeks is term for twins or if its 37. I'd always heard 37 and we were there as of Saturday (so I can check that off, too!). Now back to the weight…I'm no good at math, but I believe that's pretty much 12 lbs. of baby in me (not counting weight of placentas, amniotic fluid, etc)! My body is really stepping up to the plate and it's just amazing to me. :) Oh I'm 2 cm dilated and 80% effaced. The doctor today didn't think I'd make it to 8/11. But who knows!

I continue to take it easy, per doctor's orders. DH and I did go out to dinner last Saturday night (if 5 o'clock is considered evening!) for one last hurrah before babies. We dined at an Italian restaurant we'd heard good things about but had never gotten around to experiencing. It was really yummy and I'm glad we had a date night even though it did wear me out. I felt like a normal person again, to be out and about, and it was nice to get dressed up for my hubby.

I've entertained quite a bit lately (from the couch!) and I keep thinking our dog will become somewhat blasé about company. That hasn't happened yet and she continues to greet everyone very enthusiastically! Of course I think she thinks everyone comes to see her, which explains her excitement! She just turned 2 so I guess she's still a puppy. Anyway, my mom's lifelong friend wanted to see me while I was pregnant so she stopped by for a visit…and brought the cutest stuffed bunnies (she remembered I liked bunnies as a kid) that match my nursery décor perfectly! Then my best friend brought Dairy Queen one night and they're both always welcome at my house! On Tuesday, I had two co-workers bring me lunch. They wanted to see me and the nursery and I was certainly flattered they drove "all the way" out here to do so. :) So it's been a lot of fun! But it's getting so close to my "due date" and I'm probably about visited out. My doc told me how these last few weeks would really take a toll on me and my body and she's right.

DH and I are both getting so excited to meet these little people. It's hard to imagine what it will be like, though. I'm sure we'll see them and it will seem absolutely right. I loved this part from Shopaholic and Baby by Sophia Kinsella (great chick lit!)…when the main character has her baby girl and sees her for the first time she thinks: "All that time, that's who was in there. And it's weird, but the minute I saw her I just thought: It's you. Of course it is."

4 comments:

Denise said...

Congrats on 37 weeks! That's so wonderful.

I hope to follow in your footsteps. Any advice you can give me is very welcome and much appreciated!

GibsonTwins said...

Great job! Those are great weights too! I think even for twins 36-37 weeks is "term". Mine were a day short of 35 weeks and were 5 lbs 14.5 oz and 5 lb 5 oz so my guess is that yours may be well over 6 lbs each which would be fantastic!

I hope the last days or week(s) go by smoothly and you have an easy delivery. Keep up the great work :)

Rebecca said...

Okay...I need to steal some of your positive energy! 37 weeks is only 4 days away for me and I too have avoided hospital rest and complications (knock wood)...good for you!

I also thought my dog would calm down and she hasn't (she's a 4-year old lab)...I started putting up a gate with her in the basement b/c it exhausts me to take care of her and also try to enjoy my company!

Hope all continues to go well...keep us updated!

Denise said...

You still out there?