Thursday, September 18

My baby girls


I am the proud mother of two beautiful baby girls! Everything went swimmingly on Babies Day and Baby A (on the left, above) entered the world at 5:26 pm, weighing 6 lbs even. DH and I were relieved the first baby was a girl because all day the nurses had been predicting two boys...something DH and I weren't sure we were up for. So after Baby Girl A, I didn't worry about who would come next. And just ten minutes later and some more pushing, Baby B entered the world, weighing 5 lbs. 3 oz. What a dream! We had some initial blood sugar issues and it was a long while (couple of hours) before I was reunited with my girls again. They were given formula to get it back up and I believe that, along with their weak sucking reflex kind of set us up for breastfeeding difficulties. After one month of trying and crying and pumping and potential lactose intolerance, I gave it up and moved to formula. What an emotional decision! I'm still sad about it, really. I digress -- we were blessed enough to be able to leave the hospital together and start our family life at home. Thankfully, we came home to great support from my parents which is continuing on to this day. I keep thinking I need to cut the cord since they are my children after all, but dang this twin stuff is hard. Something about mommy being outnumbered. ;) One added challenge is the colic diagnosis our little Peanut Baby B got last week at the pediatrician. She'd have inconsolable crying fits that would last for hours, at any time...to the point that she made herself hoarse. If that isn't the saddest sound, I'm not sure what is. So apparently it's hyperirritability colic, meaning it could happen any time and the treatment is to really reduce the negative stimulation she receives as the crying means her mental capacity is maxxed out (as well as the formula change to lacto free). Not only is it just awful to not be able to do anything for your baby but it's hard to not be able to enjoy her true personality. When she's not crying and red in the face, she is a shockingly beautiful baby who's so alert and bright eyed. I love getting those glimpses, as few and as far between as they are. Thankfully our String Bean Baby A is a laid back baby, although lately she seems to have taken some notes from her sister. Peer pressure at its earliest. ;) At this point, I'm just trying to make it through every day. I knew it'd be hard, but it's definitely harder than I thought it'd be. This is truly the very first time I've been on the computer for any amount of time since they've been born. Either I'm a horrible time manager or my babies are really demanding or both. But despite it all, I have said it multiple times: having "just one" baby must be boring. ;) Anyway, this isn't my best post and I apologize for my brevity but it's about feeding time...I figured I owed any readers some semblance of an update. I'm keeping up on your blogs when I get a chance. Rebecca is a freaking rock star and I'm still just so excited for Denise. Hope my post didn't scare you. ;) It's hard work but what great things aren't?

4 comments:

Denise said...

No worries. I figured you were just busy, but was anxious to hear how you were doing. Glad to hear delivery went well and you are all home safe and sound! Keep up the good work, mom!

Rebecca said...

Just checked in after a long while...congratulations!!! I'm so happy that your babies are home with you! I am trying the twin breastfeeding thing too, but not having a lot of success. I basically starved them for the first month and they didn't gain ANY weight. Now we're supplementing with formula, but I am hating the breast pump and all of that crap. Don't feel guilty...you gave it your best and you're trying to do it for TWO!! That's almost impossible...there are so many people who can even do it for one...take it easy on yourself! I'll keep checking back for an update. Good luck with the colic...that sucks...wait for those calm moments! Take care!

Rebecca said...

Did I mention that they're beautiful? They are!

Debbie said...

I just ran across your blog when I did a search for CCRM. Is your acupuncturist Mary Zhang? If so, I see her too! It was on her recommendation that I go to CCRM. A big congratulations on the twins. They are absolutely beautiful.