Sunday, December 16

2nd beta...or not

Today I was due for my second beta and had a heck of a time finding someplace that could do a test on a Sunday. But the hospital lab is open 24x7 and was happy to do the test. So I woke up early, POAS (much stronger positive sign today - phew!), and then headed to the hospital for the official word...only to be told that my insurance company no longer pays for outpatient labs done at the hospital. I shouldn't have been shocked - my insurance (Coventry) hasn't paid for any of our IF costs (cuz it was "out-of-network") - but this seemed so routine and it really irritated me. The nurses had no idea how much it might cost to even give me a ballpark figure, so I opted to wait until tomorrow morning, when I can go to the local fertility clinic. That should be okay, right? I figure the HPT + came in so much stronger this morning that my HCG must be going up...gotta love self-diagnosis. But that's probably right, right?

Of course I'm bummed to not hear how the embryos are doing until tomorrow...but at least I know they're still hanging in there. :)

In other news, my older sister and bro-in-law continue their quest for baby. About a year ago, when our first IVF cycle was canceled, she announced her pregnancy...only to miscarry a little while later. Now that we've finally got good news, they're struggling with what to do about a variocele and a uterine fibroid. If any of you have experience with either of these, can you let me know whether you had them fixed? I hope I'm as sensitive to her as she was to me.

3 comments:

Geohde said...

The wee sticks are not meant to be abused in a quantitative fashion, but we all do it :)

Waiting another day for the beta will not change the outcome, but you might sleep less in the meantime :)

Congrats,

J

Denise said...

I would make the same assumption you did (darker line on pee stick=higher beta). Not that I have any experience with it yet. :)

Can't wait to hear what your number is tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

just wanted to say that three mos after my hub's varicocele repair, we conceived after a year of nothing! the surgeon gave us a 20%chance of the surg. even working at all. so i would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone considering it. it was a bil. repair and recovery was only 1-2 days long. hope this helps.